We are living in times where everything is so fast-paced, immediate, and in a social media frenzy. This type of go-go-go motion activates our sympathetic nervous system which is the fight or flight response. We (empaths) can easily absorb our environment which if it’s negative or stressful can take us out of alignment with our Highest Self. As a result we may be in a state of heightened fear. vs using our intuition to handle life. This fear is often unconscious and we don’t notice the effects. This is called the Shadow Self. Some examples of the Shadow Self that my clients have shared that I’ve also struggled with are:
- Lack of self confidence
- Poor boundaries. Often co-dependent.
- Easily agitated or angered.
- Chronic fatigue.
- Lacks trust in relationships.
- Power struggles.
- You doubt your intuition.
- Get sick.
- Poor communication.
- Stop challenging yourself.
- Low energy.
- Unmotivated to do self-care.
If you’ve experienced any of these don’t worry. You’re human and it’s happened to all of us. It may even happen again because our shadow never goes away. However!! 🙂 We have to learn how to live in harmony with our Shadow Self. This is through the practice of self compassion and love.
Do you want to reduce your stress level today? Are you willing to practice reducing your stress so you can do more of the things you love? Well, you’re in luck! Because I have a challenge for you. If you can start this 10 Day Challenge watch what happens to your stress level.
Here’s how to get started…
YOUR 10 DAY CHALLENGE
- Bedtime ritual. For the next 10 days before you go to bed, write down 3 things you are grateful for that day. Tuck this note in your pillowcase. Leave it and add another note the next night until your last day. Try to write these down at the same time every night to create ritual. Rituals create safety and the process reprograms the mind-body to feel relaxed and good. On the 11th day, go ahead and gather all your notes. Put all of them on one palm and place the other hand over them. Close your eyes. Ask what you should do with the notes. The first thing you receive, do it and don’t question whether it makes sense or not. Then have fun with this project!
- Morning ritual. As soon as you wake up do this deep breathing meditation for 5 minutes for the next 10 days. Use a timer so you don’t have to think about it. The time starts once you are in position and ready to do your breathing practice. Stay lying in bed. Close your eyes. Place dominant hand over your heart and the other hand over your belly (above belly button/Solar Plexus). Take a deep breathe through the nose and out the nose for one cycle to begin.TIP: When you inhale, expand the belly out. The exhale, the belly goes inward towards the back of the body. As you make your next inhale through the nose, you’ll repeat quietly in your mind Sat (Truth), then on your out breathe through the nose quietly in your mind say Nam (Identity). You’ll continue this meditation of breathing deeply in/out through the nose, and hear the words Sat Nam in your mind until your timer goes off. When you’re done, check in with your mind-body-energy. Take notes each day about your experience. Enjoy the rest of your day!
- Olfactory (smell) sense. Use aromatherapy to reduce anxiousness for the next 10 days. Essential oils stimulate the part of the brain (limbic system) that supports the functions of our feelings, memories, motivation, learning, and smells. It’s highly effective if you are looking for fast results. Find a quiet, relaxing space to begin using your oils. Choose from lavender, chamomile, rose, ylang ylang, or bergamot for your next bath, spray some on your pillow for good sleep, use a diffuser in your room to create a relaxing environment, add to lotions, rub the oil in your hand and inhale deeply, or rub it on the souls of your feet for inner peace and calming effects. TIP: Only use a plant based oil like DoTERRA.
Ok, so I’ve got you started! You’re going to do all 3 for your 10 day challenge. This should be fun and relaxing. The strategies are not to replace any medical advice. Please consult with a medical professional if you need further assistance.
I’d love to know how this challenge is going for you. Please comment below.